The purchase of your first home comes with the opportunity to personalize your living spaces. Your home is unique to you. With endless possibilities for every budget, these six tips from design experts will get you started on making your new house your home.
1. Give yourself some time in your new home to realize what types of furniture will suit your needs and fit the spaces. Start with the basic necessities of a bed, a few chairs, a sofa and a table. You can then start prioritizing the purchase of your furnishings based upon where you spend the most time.
2. If you have a tight budget, consider buying and refurbishing used furniture.
3. Study the interior floor plan and the measurements of wall spaces prior to purchasing any furnishings. Furniture size and placement will be dependent upon location of outlets, air vents, door openings and stairways.
4. Before you begin selecting your interior décor, determine what your personal style is so you can more easily find what brings you comfort. It may be contemporary, traditional or a mix of both.
5. Accessories will help establish who you are in your new home. Decorative items will also tie your design elements together. For little investment, you can add candles, wall art, plants and cozy linens to create a warm and inviting ambiance.
6. Good lighting will enhance your home’s interior, highlight your furnishings and improve its functionality. Control the natural light with appropriate window treatments and add smaller artificial light sources to create intimate spaces.
The thought of furnishing your vacant new home can be overwhelming. Call or email me so I can give you more guidance and tips. I am always here to help every step of the way as you navigate buying and moving into your new home.