A sexy front yard can ramp up your home’s curb appeal without costing a fortune.
If you’re planning to sell – or even if you’re not – it’s a good idea to keep the outside of your home spruced up.
Following are five ways to up your yard’s sexiness quotient:
1. Think like a drive-by viewer. Your home may tell a very different story when seen from across the street. Is there an attractive transition from road to front porch? Does it feel welcoming?
2. You don’t have to splurge on a landscape designer to create a new look for your front yard. While you’re viewing your property from across the street, look at it as a whole. Consider the “hardscapes” like your porch, front door and walkway and the “softscapes” like plants, hedges and trees. Create a focus by painting your front door a different color, and keep the rest simple.
3. Peeling paint and cracked sidewalks say something about the way you maintain the house as a whole. Some elbow grease and a bit of paint can do wonders for your home’s curb appeal. Keep hedges clipped, leaves raked, lawns mowed and the kids’ toys stored out of sight.
4. Curved flower beds are more welcoming than a straight display. Choose plants and foliage that complement your exterior paint scheme and support the mood you’re going for. Bright colors like yellow, orange and red are attention getters. White is vibrant at night, and pale colors convey a calm mood.
5. Don’t forget about lighting. Make it easy for visitors to navigate your walkway and find your front door at night.